Meet my girls


While I'd like to think of myself as The Professor, lately I've felt like a mix between Gilligan and The Skipper. Marooned in Portland, The Professor would have an answer for any problem that might arise. Overwhelmed by inclement weather? Drowning in a sea of hipsters, but unable to make a friend? Restless from working at home? Suffering from micro brew fatigue? Were I The Professor, I could make a friend, settle on a beer, and beat the weather with nothing more than a few coconuts and a little brow sweat.

Lately, however, I tend to bungle the new things I try or I do little and fall back on my old, reliable ways. I either try to meet people only to have things not work out, or I stay home and nerd out by reading or spending time on the computer. I'm doing things and gaining experiences, but I don't feel any closer to achieving my goals.

The comforting truth is that Gilligan's Island would have been a terrible show if The Professor's first plan rescued the castaways. I don't need to have a brilliant rescue plan for any of my problems. What's important is that I earnestly try new things and enjoy all the inevitable hi-jinks.

Since I'll be marooned here in Portland for a while, permanently I hope, I think it's time that I give my ladies a proper introduction.

Ginger, a.k.a. Big Red


Ginger is a Rhode Island Red. She is highest on the pecking order and tends to dominate the other birds by stealing their worms, taking the best spot on the roost, and dry humping them into submission.

Lovey



Mrs. Thurston Howell III is a Plymouth Barred Rock hen. She is fairly docile and tends to be the easiest bird to catch.

Mary Ann



Mary Ann is also a Plymouth Barred Rock. She is by far the sassiest chicken in our flock. She is always the last in the coop, and she wiggles so much I haven't yet been able to clip her wings.

No comments: